Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilkesboro in Wilkes County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Benbow & Tomlinson Store

Circa 1910

— Wilkesboro Historic Preservation Commission —

 
 
Benbow & Tomlinson Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
1. Benbow & Tomlinson Store Marker
Inscription.  
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 36° 8.902′ N, 81° 9.076′ W. Marker is in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, in Wilkes County. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 18/268) east of South Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 E Main St, Wilkesboro NC 28697, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilkes County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson-Hubbard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stoneman's Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Wilkes County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Wilkes County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Hubbard's (within shouting distance of this marker); Julius Cicero & Nellie White Hubbard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilkes County Courthouse Annex (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilkesboro.
 
Regarding Benbow & Tomlinson Store.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Downtown Wilkesboro Historic District, of which the Benbow & Tomlinson building is a contributing building:
The storefront of this two-story brick building – with its recessed central entrance flanked by plate-glass windows and secondary entrance at the east end, all against a blank, painted brick wall – is a remodeling of the original, probably dating from the mid-twentieth century. Probably also at that time, the original two-over-two sash windows of the second-story façade were replaced with smaller metal casement windows. However, the brick segmental arches of the original four windows remain intact, as does the decorative paneled and corbeled cornice. The earliest known use of this building was as the Benbow and Tomlinson Store, operated by L. S. Benbow and S. V. Tomlinson. During the mid-twentieth century, Mrs. DeBerry operated a restaurant on the first floor and lived upstairs, until she built her house at 200 South West Street.
 
Benbow & Tomlinson Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
2. Benbow & Tomlinson Store Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210429

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024