Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilkesboro in Wilkes County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop

Circa 1950

— Wilkesboro Historic Preservation Commission —

 
 
Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
1. Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop Marker
Inscription.  
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
 
Location. 36° 8.925′ N, 81° 8.96′ W. Marker is in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, in Wilkes County. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 18/268) west of Corporation Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 E Main St, Wilkesboro NC 28697, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calloway-Hubbard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Gurney Talmadge & Julia Phillips Mitchell House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Somers-Foster House (within shouting distance of this marker); Julius Cicero & Nellie White Hubbard House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown-Cowles House (about 400 feet away); Starr House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilkesboro.
 
Regarding Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Downtown Wilkesboro Historic District, of which the upholstery shop is a contributing building:
Originally, this was the Parks-Reid Store, probably built during the second quarter of the twentieth century and located just outside of town. James Hubbard dismantled and moved the building to its present site in the mid-twentieth century when he and his wife came to take care of his mother, Annie Hubbard, who lived next door at 211 East Main Street. However, James died before he could make use of the building. Since then it has served variously as a Justice of the Peace office downstairs, an apartment upstairs, Dick Perdue’s radio shop, Dolly Wagner’s dress shop and, for nearly the last half century, as Harvey Chambers’ upholstery shop.
 
Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
2. Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210432

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024