Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilkesboro in Wilkes County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Calloway-Hubbard House

Built 1873

— Wilkesboro Historic Preservation Commission —

 
 
Calloway-Hubbard House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
1. Calloway-Hubbard House Marker
Inscription.  
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 36° 8.924′ N, 81° 8.944′ W. Marker is in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 18/268) and Corporation Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 E Main St, Wilkesboro NC 28697, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harvey Chambers' Upholstery Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Somers-Foster House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Gurney Talmadge & Julia Phillips Mitchell House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Starr House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Julius Cicero & Nellie White Hubbard House (about 400 feet away); Brown-Cowles House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilkesboro.
 
Regarding Calloway-Hubbard House.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Downtown Wilkesboro Historic District, of which the Calloway-Hubbard House is a contributing building:
Dr. James Calloway (1806-1878) was the first of the Wilkes County doctors to graduate from a recognized medical school, the University of Pennsylvania. He practiced medicine for forty years in Wilkesboro at the southwest corner of West Main and South Bridge streets, a location that came to be known as Calloway Corner. In 1870 he moved to Kansas, where he owned 7,000 acres, but after two years he returned to Wilkesboro and built the home at 211 East Main Street where he lived until his death. One of the Calloway daughters, Annie, married Joel T. Hubbard, and they reared their children in the house. One of their children, Fred C. Hubbard, became another prominent Wilkesboro doctor and historian. The house remained in Hubbard family ownership and occupancy until recent years.
 
Calloway-Hubbard House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
2. Calloway-Hubbard House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210433

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024