Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockdale in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old City Cemetery

 
 
Old City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 12, 2022
1. Old City Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Originally known as Rockdale Cemetery, Old City Cemetery was established the same year that Rockdale was founded in 1874. Many of Rockdale's early residents and businessmen who helped shape the city are buried in the Old City Cemetery. The cemetery's first four burials were for J.E. Featherstone, D. Murphy, Tennie Simms, and Marie Vogel. Initially segregated, the first recorded burial in the African American section was Katie Fulcher's in 1886. The last known interment in the African American section was of Georgia A. Smith (1872-1948).

Some well-known Rockdale citizens are buried here. Anton Wolf (1846-1924) built Wolf Hotel and was instrumental in forming St. Joseph's Catholic Church. Charles Hunter (C.H.) Coffield (1847-1918) was a Civil War veteran who organized the First National Bank, was Rockdale's mayor and a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Honor. Another mayor of Rockdale buried in this cemetery is Reverend W.E. Copeland (1839-1924), who was also a Civil War veteran, railroad agent, and proponent of education, having encouraged and assisted in building the public school. Another notable burial is General
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Hazard Perry Hale (1814-1882), who was Milam County commissioner in 1854, elected to the 6th Texas Legislature as a representative from Milam County, and a Civil War Brigadier General of the Texas State Troops 27th Brigade.

Along with the Wolf, Coffield, Copeland and Hale families, many other prominent names in Rockdale's history are represented, including but not limited to the Perrys, Baxters, Longmoors, and Witchers. There are more than 40 known veterans buried in the Old City Cemetery.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2016

 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 20118.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
 
Location. 30° 39.206′ N, 96° 59.999′ W. Marker is in Rockdale, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of East 1st Street and Oak Street, on the right when traveling east on East 1st Street. The marker is located at the north entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockdale TX 76567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroads in Rockdale (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot (about 500 feet away); Site of Mundine Hotel
The entrance to the Old City Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 12, 2022
2. The entrance to the Old City Cemetery
(about 600 feet away); Jewish Cemetery (about 700 feet away); George Sessions Perry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Springfield Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic African American Businesses (approx. ¼ mile away); First Christian Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockdale.
 
Also see . . .  Rockdale, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Rockdale is at the intersections of U.S. Highway 79 and Farm roads 908 and 487, thirteen miles south of Cameron in southern Milam County. In 1873 George Green, B. F. Ackerman, and Frank Smith sold 400 acres of land to the International-Great Northern Railroad, which was laying track from Hearne to Austin. A sale of town lots was held on September 3, 1873, and the track was completed to Rockdale in early February 1874. The new town was named by Mrs. B. F. Ackerman for a nearby rock, which was twelve feet high and had a circumference of twenty feet. Rockdale was incorporated in 1878 and established an aldermanic government. The first major railroad town in Milam County, Rockdale quickly developed as a shipping
The view of the Old City Cemetery from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 12, 2022
3. The view of the Old City Cemetery from across the street
and supply point for area farmers, who produced cotton, wool, vegetables, fruits, grain, hides, and livestock.
(Submitted on November 17, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210605

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024