Near Cameron in Marshall County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1779.
Location. 39° 53.05′ N, 80° 35.4′ W. Marker is near Cameron, West Virginia, in Marshall County. Marker is on U.S. 250 south of Middle Grave Creek Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron WV 26033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cameron City Pool (approx. 4 miles away); Aleppo Elementary School Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); Honoring the Memory of Lloyd E. Ashby (approx. Cameron Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Uriah Alley (approx. 4.2 miles away); Don Harris Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Fort Wetzel (approx. 5˝ miles away); West Virginia Penitentiary (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
More about this marker. Marker is across the road from Beeler Station Christian Church, which was founded in 1826.
Also see . . . Attack at Beeler Station. pages from the 1939 book The Life and Times of Lewis Wetzel by C. B. Allman. “The chiefs rode towards the fort side by side. They stopped to dismount, when a rifle cracked and one of them fell dead. It was Lewis Wetzel’s reply to intended negotiations. Himself safe behind the walls he again played the game according to the simple rules that he knew. The Indians were furious and stormed the place. They tried to dig under the walls. . . ” (Submitted on July 25, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,422 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.