Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mid-Town Brandywine in Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tatnall Bell, 1800

 
 
Tatnall Bell, 1800 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), November 18, 2022
1. Tatnall Bell, 1800 Marker
Inscription.  
This bronze bell originally hung in the cupola of Old Town Hall (across the street) from 1800 until 1875. Old Town Hall was built in 1798 and served the city until 1916.

The bell, cast in England, was purchased by Joseph Tatnall (1740-1813), a prosperous miller and merchant who also purchased the clock for the building. As one of the tallest buildings in Wilmington for almost a century, the Town Hall and its tower became an important community focal point. The bell worked with the clock to strike on the hour but could also be rung manually as a fire alarm, to summon the citizenry to meetings, or to mark a period of public celebration or mourning.

The bell was removed when the original cupola was replaced by a larger one in 1875. The bell then passed to the Phoenix Fire Company before being donated to the Delaware Historical Society by the heirs of Joseph Tatnall in 1933.
 
Erected by Delaware Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsGovernment & Politics
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
 
Location. 39° 44.49′ N, 75° 33.042′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. It is in Mid-Town Brandywine. Marker is on North Market Street just north of West 5th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 N Market St, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cook-Simms House, 1778 (a few steps from this marker); Willingtown Square (a few steps from this marker); Jacob and Obadiah Dingee Houses, 1771 and 1773 (a few steps from this marker); Jacobs House, 1748 (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Lodge of Delaware A.F.&A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Coxe Houses, 1801 (within shouting distance of this marker); Brown v. Board of Education (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Tatnall Bell, 1800 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), November 18, 2022
2. Tatnall Bell, 1800 Marker
The bell stands behind the fence.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210783

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2024