Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank - 1890
While still under construction, the newly formed First National Bank of Nacogdoches bought this building for its new home. Though not the first bank in Nacogdoches, which was the Wettermark Bank dating from 1883, the new First National Bank was the first in town to have a national charter (August, 1890) and the first to have a brick building out of which to conduct business. John P. Davidson, a native of Alabama who came with his brother George to Texas around 1850, organized the bank with a capitalization of $50,000. Other stockholders included: J.W. Shipman, James P. Sutphen, Gus Levy, and J.E. Mayfield. The bank only lasted a decade and closed its doors at the end of 1899, leaving the Wettermark Bank once again the only bank operating in Nacogdoches. The closure of the First National Bank and the later collapse of the Wettermark Bank in 1903 paved the way for two new banks in the city, Commercial National Bank (1901) and the Stone Fort National Bank (1903).
Late owners, who included John P. Slay and then Marcy Lucas, leased the building to a variety of businesses. For a time it was the Royal Movie Theater, then a barber shop, Western Union, a professional office and a series of mercantile shops in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1999 Diana Walker and Taylor and Gerry Larabee purchased this building, removed the stucco which covered the facade, and restored the front of the building to an earlier period. In the remodeling of the structure, the footing for the bank vault (a basement-like room) and a well were discovered beneath the floor. After becoming sole owners, the Larabees moved their Heart of Texas shop into the building.
Erected by The Heritage Club of Nacogdoches and the City of Nacogdoches Main Street Advisory Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 31° 36.18′ N, 94° 39.33′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. It is at the intersection of South Pecan Street and East Pilar Street, on the right when traveling south on South Pecan Street. The marker is located on the right corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 South Pecan Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The West Side of the Square (here, next to this marker); The Hoya Buildings (a few steps from this marker); Plaza Place (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonel and Mrs. Robert Parker Andrews Memorial Park and Archeological Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladys Hampton Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Home in Texas Owned by General Sam Houston (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Houston's First Home in Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Chas. Hoya Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


