Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hot Springs in Garland County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

“Rebirth of the American Spa”

— Hot Springs Central Avenue Historic District —

 
 
“Rebirth of the American Spa” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 5, 2022
1. “Rebirth of the American Spa” Marker
Inscription.  On May 13, 1989, the Fordyce Bathhouse reopened as Hot Springs National Park Visitor Center. In honor of this event, 1200 volunteers, the Friends of the Fordyce, the Sentinel-Record and other businesses created a four-day celebration called the “Rebirth of the American Spa.”
 
Erected by City of Hot Springs.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Events. A significant historical date for this entry is May 18, 1898.
 
Location. 34° 30.826′ N, 93° 3.238′ W. Marker is in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in Garland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Central Avenue (Arkansas Route 7) and Mountain Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the sidewalk, next to a streetlamp post. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 370 Central Ave, Hot Springs National Park AR 71901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hot Springs, Incorporated (a few steps from this marker); Hot Springs Railroad Improvements (a few steps from this marker); Fordyce Bathhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Maurice Bathhouse
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Hot Springs' Major Fires (within shouting distance of this marker); Hot Springs Utility Improvements (within shouting distance of this marker); Horse Racing in Hot Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Quapaw Bathhouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hot Springs.
 
Regarding “Rebirth of the American Spa”. The Fordyce Bathhouse opened on March 1, 1915 but closed on June 30, 1962 because of declining business. It sat vacant for more than a quarter-century until the National Park Service began restoring it in the late 1980s. The four-day grand-reopening celebration included strolling barbershop singers, tours, an ethnic food festival and the U.S. Navy Band. The festivities culminated with a concert by country singer Crystal Gayle.
 
“Rebirth of the American Spa” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 5, 2022
2. “Rebirth of the American Spa” Marker
The Fordyce Bathhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 5, 2022
3. The Fordyce Bathhouse
It now houses the visitor center for Hot Springs National Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=211167

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024