Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Lincoln in Lancaster County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Beatrice Creamery Building

1890/1904

 
 
Beatrice Creamery Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2022
1. Beatrice Creamery Building Marker
Inscription.  
Originally constructed in 1890 as the two-story Fitzgerald building, this structure received its upper floors in 1904, a very early example of a common haymarket occurrence. The upper floors were added on by Beatrice Creamery Company, the building's most prominent occupant. The company was headquartered here from the late 1890s until 1911, when they moved to Chicago, eventually becoming Beatrice Foods, a major food processor, and more recently, a diversified conglomerate. Cornell Supply Company, a wholesale plumbing and heating business, occupied the building from 1911 until the 1940s.

The Beatrice Creamery building's west facade features fine iron trim and brickwork arches.
 
Erected 2003 by Lincoln Haymarket Development Corporation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 40° 48.879′ N, 96° 42.668′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Nebraska, in Lancaster County. It is in Downtown. Marker is at the intersection of P Street and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
North 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on P Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 P Street, Lincoln NE 68508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Station (a few steps from this marker); Historic Haymarket District (a few steps from this marker); Old Woods Bros. Companies Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Salvation Army Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln Drug Company Building (about 300 feet away); Stacy Brothers Building (about 400 feet away); Harpham Building (about 400 feet away); Seaton and Lea Ironworks (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
 
Also see . . .  Beatrice Creamery Building. Excerpt:
he Creamery stands on the site of the Fitzgerald Block, an ornate warehouse of 1889-1890. In 1898 the newly incorporated Beatrice Creamery Company had its start in the west half of the Fitzgerald Block. Just months later, a fire broke out in the creamery and destroyed the whole building. Remarkably, the new creamery company and their co-tenant, the grocery wholesaler H. P. Lau, both survived and rebuilt in the Haymarket.
(Submitted on November 26, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Beatrice Creamery Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 26, 2022
2. Beatrice Creamery Building Marker
The marker is to the right of the double green doors.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clear, daylight photos of the marker and its context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=211304

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024