Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

St. Peterís Episcopal Church

Carson City, Nevada

ó Nevada Historical Marker ó

 
 
St. Peterís Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 25, 2009
1. St. Peterís Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  
Construction of this graceful reminder of the churches of old New England began in October 1867. Work was completed in July 1868 at a cost of $5,500.

The church was first occupied by its congregation on Sunday, August 9, 1868, with the Reverend George B. Allen officiating. Beginning in December 1873, additional construction work brought the edifice to substantially its present form and appearance.

On April 18, 1874, a public rental for 51 of the 56 new pews installed in the enlarged chancel was held. The remaining five pews were reserved for Nevadaís Orphan Home children (now the Northern Nevada Childrenís Home in Carson City).

The statewide slump in mining activities, 1878-1900, and the economic crisis which ensued, played havoc with most of Nevadaís churches, including St. Peterís. However, the period of stress weathered, and St. Peterís had grown steadily ever since. It continues to play an important role in Carson Cityís religious and secular life.

The sandstone used in the base of this marker was quarried at the site of the present Nevada State Prison and was salvaged from an early
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Carson City building.

 
Erected 1976 by Carson City Historical Commission and the Board of Supervisors.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1812.
 
Location. 39° 9.942′ N, 119° 46.176′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is on North Division Street near West Telegraph Street, on the right when traveling south. The Church is on the Southwest corner of North Division and West Telegraph Streets. Marker is located in front of the church, facing North Division Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Division Street, Carson City NV 89703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Church of Carson City (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Globe Saloon (about 500 feet away); Stewart-Nye Residence (about 600 feet away); Rinckel Mansion (about 700 feet away); Olcovich-Meyers House (about 800 feet away); Federal Government Building (1888-1970) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pony Express Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The United States Mint Carson City, Nevada (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
 
More about this marker. This site was placed on the National Register
St. Peterís Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 25, 2009
2. St. Peterís Episcopal Church and Marker
of Historic Places on January 3, 1978.
 
North Side of St. Peterís Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 25, 2009
3. North Side of St. Peterís Episcopal Church
South Side - St. Peterís Episcopal Church image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Aaron A. Gallup, Photographer, circa Jan. 1973
4. South Side - St. Peterís Episcopal Church
Historic American Buildings Survey
HABS NEV,13-CARCI,10
Building/structure dates: 1867 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1873 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1911 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1965 subsequent work
Significance: The best preserved of Carson City's early churches, St. Peter's is an interesting and attractive building reflecting both Gothic and classic prototypes.
Click for more information.
St. Peterís Episcopal Church - Interior image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Aaron A. Gallup, Photographer, circa Jan. 1973
5. St. Peterís Episcopal Church - Interior
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
HABS NEV,13-CARCI,10-
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,632 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21211

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024