Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Charles H. Jones, a French-schooled designer, constructed the residence for Mathias Rinckel using European craftsmen. The mansion is constructed of pressed brick resting upon sandstone ashlar foundation. The sandstone originated from the Nevada State Prison quarry. The brick came from Carson Valley and knot-free lumber was obtained from the pine forests of Lake Tahoe.
Rinckel, a German immigrant and pioneer Carson City merchant, accumulated a degree of wealth in the gold fields in the Feather River district of California from 1849 to 1859. He increased his fortune in mining at Virginia City during that city’s infancy. In 1863, Rinckel settled in Carson City, where he engaged in livestock and butchering. As a successful merchant, he supplied mining and timber districts surrounding Eagle Valley with meat.
Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Communications • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 39° 9.847′ N, 119° 46.076′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is on North Curry Street near West King Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 North Curry Street, Carson City NV 89703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Olcovich-Meyers House (a few steps from this marker); Carson City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ormsby House (about 400 feet away); Nevada’s Capitol (about 500 feet away); Methodist Church of Carson City (about 500 feet away); Tribute to Nevada Miners (about 500 feet away); Felice Cohn (about 500 feet away); Historic Fraternal Site of Carson City (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
Regarding Rinckel Mansion. The Rinckel Mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1975.
The building is now the site of the Donald W. Reynolds Press Center
Also see . . .
1. The Rinckel Mansion. The Rinckel (Submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
2. New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of the markers on its website for each individual marker and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on October 24, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,509 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.