Bartow in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Wood
General Solomon Wood.
1756 - 1815
Officer of the American Revolution. Pioneer, and first Senator
of Jefferson County.
Erected 1936 by Public Works Administration.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1756.
Location. 32° 52.757′ N, 82° 28.458′ W. Marker is in Bartow, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (U.S. 221) and Wadley Road (U.S. 319), on the right when traveling south on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bartow GA 30413, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bartow (within shouting distance of this marker); Spier's Turnout (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Savannah Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); General Wood's Fort (approx. 1.6 miles away); Tarver's Mill (approx. 3˝ miles away); The 20th Corps Old Sunbury Road (approx. 4˝ miles away); a different marker also named Old Sunbury Road (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartow.
Also see . . . Bartow, Georgia Town History. Following The Revolutionary War, what is now Bartow was known as Wood's Fort. It was named for a log and brick fortification built by Solomon Wood against attacks from the Creek Nation. The land on which he settled was partial payment for his services as Commander of all Georgia troops who fought in the Revolutionary War. The fort featured a bell, which was used to signal danger. (Submitted on August 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,272 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.