Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Locust Grove in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Locust Grove Institute

1894 - 1929

 
 
Locust Grove Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
1. Locust Grove Institute Marker
Inscription.  Born in 1894 of a community mass meeting called for the purpose by B. J.W. Graham, Pastor of the Locust Grove Baptist Church, Locust Grove Institute was started as a coeducational school by the citizens of Locust Grove who gave the land and an initial $2,000, which was matched by the Flint River Baptist Association. It opened November 1, 1894 with 13 pupils, Y.E. Bargeron as Principal. Claude Gray, native of Butts County, one of the great educators of his day, was President from 1897 to 1928.

Supported largely by the Flint River Association assisted by other Associations under a representative Board of Trustees, it was taken over by the Georgia Baptist Convention in 1917. Under Mr. and Mrs. Gray and an able faculty, this short-lived institution rose to a leading position in Southern education and was among the first to be accredited by the Southern Education Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges. Discontinued in 1929 because of diminishing patronage and support resulting from the large expansion of public education, Locust Grove Institute lives in the minds, hearts, and accomplishments of hundreds of graduates.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 075-8.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 1, 1821.
 
Location. 33° 21.152′ N, 84° 6.774′ W. Marker is in Locust Grove, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 23 and School Drive, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 23. US Highway 23 is also Georgia Highway 42. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3644 Highway 42 S, Locust Grove GA 30248, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locust Grove (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The March to the Sea (approx. 2 miles away); Ringold Community (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Huey UH-1H Was the Work Horse of Vietnam (approx. 6.1 miles away); Miller's Saw Mill Replica (approx. 6.2 miles away); Steam Locomotive (approx. 6.2 miles away); Lane's Place (approx. 6.2 miles away); Clements Log Cabin (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Locust Grove.
 
More about this marker. The marker stands at the road, in front of the former Locust Grove Institute, now the Locust Grove Municipal Complex.
 
Locust Grove Institute Today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
2. Locust Grove Institute Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,264 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21341

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024