Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Butts County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Butts County

 
 
Butts County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
1. Butts County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 24, 1825, is named for Capt. Sam Butts killed in the Indian War of 1814 at the Battle of Chalibbee. At Indian Springs, now a State Park, were signed the Treaties with the Creeks giving Georgia respectively all lands between the Flint and Ocmulgee Rivers north to the Chattahoochee, and all the remaining Indian lands in the state. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Isaac Nolen, Clerk of Superior Court Abel L. Robinson, Clerk of Inferior Court Thomas Thornton, Coroner Wm. B. Smith and Surveyor Willie Terrell.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 018-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNative AmericansPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 24, 1825.
 
Location. 33° 17.671′ N, 83° 58.029′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Georgia, in Butts County. Marker is at the intersection of West 3rd
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street (U.S. 23) and Oak Street, on the right when traveling west on West 3rd Street. The marker is at the edge of the lawn of the Butts County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson GA 30233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Right Wing at Jackson (a few steps from this marker); Crossing the Ocmulgee (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Butts County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Sylvan Grove Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Sylvan Grove Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Iron Springs (approx. 3˝ miles away); “Idlewilde” (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Butts County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 1, 2009
2. Butts County Courthouse
The marker is in the trees, just seen to the left. The courthouse was built in 1898 at a cost of $24,980.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21385

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024