Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Grantville in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Allen-Lee Memorial Church

(Old Prospect Methodist)

 
 
Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, 1991
1. Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker
Inscription.  When a new building was completed in 1939, the name of this church, established in 1844 as Prospect Methodist Church, was changed to Allen-Lee Memorial Methodist Church to honor two of its illustrious members, Dr. Young J. Allen and Dr. J. W. Lee.

Dr. Young John Allen, born in Burke County, Jan. 3, 1836, was reared by an aunt, Nancy (Wooten) Hutchins, near Lone Oak. In 1851, during a sermon by Rev. John W. Yarbrough, first pastor at old Prospect, Dr. Allen was so deeply convicted of sin and the need for salvation that he jumped from the window and fled into the woods. Returning to the church, he was converted and, in 1859, sailed to China as a missionary and teacher. Bishop Warren A. Candler, in his book, “Young John Allen -- The Man Who Seeded China,” said: “His great work opened the way for the Gospel in China and made easier the task of every missionary in that vast Empire.” Dr. Allen died in 1907.

Dr. James Wideman Lee, native of Lone Oak, was outstanding in the North Georgia Methodist Conference. He later became a renowned minister in a leading church in St. Louis, Mo., and was influential
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in founding the Barnes Hospital there. His uncle, William Owen Lee, gave the land for this church.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 099-7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 3, 1907.
 
Location. 33° 10.461′ N, 84° 48.675′ W. Marker is near Grantville, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker is on Lone Oak Road (Georgia Route 54) 0.1 miles west of Forest Road, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located in the parking lot, adjacent to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3241 Lone Oak Road, Grantville GA 30220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gravesite of Lt. (jg) Thomas E. Zellars- Namesake of USS Zellars DD 777 (approx. 4.4 miles away); William Hogan Plantation (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Attempted Assassination of Isaiah H. Lofton (approx. 6.2 miles away); Mountville Community (approx. 10 miles away); Mountville Methodist (approx. 10.1 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 11.2 miles away);
Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
2. Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker
The marker in 2009
Gen. Jos. Wheeler, C.S.A. (approx. 11.2 miles away); The Battle of Brown's Mill: Aftermath (approx. 11.2 miles away).
 
Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
3. Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker
Looking west on Georgia Highway 54 in the town of Lone Oak
Allen-Lee Memorial Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
4. Allen-Lee Memorial Church
Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
5. Allen-Lee Memorial Church Marker
Site of Allen Childhood Home Memorial image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
6. Site of Allen Childhood Home Memorial
As noted on the smaller memorial, this memorial was moved to this site, alongside the Allen-Lee Memorial Church. The larger marker reads:
Site of Childhood home of Young J. Allen Methodist Missionary whose labors in China 1859-1907 made him known as an international Statesman in Christianity.
The smaller marker reads:
This memorial was given by Mrs. I. R. Leigh (1867-1956) of Grantville, Georgia. It was originally placed on the Liberty Hill Road in a cornfield on the site of the long vanished home of the late Mr. and Mrs. Wiley Hutchins, the uncle and aunt who reared Young J. Allen. In order for memorial to be more accessible to the public Mrs. Leigh later gave permission for it to be moved to the grounds of Allen-Lee Memorial Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21403

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024