Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Morley in Municipal District of Bighorn No. 8, Alberta — Canada’s Prairie Region (North America)
 

The Methodist Missionaries

 
 
The Methodist Missionaries Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2022
1. The Methodist Missionaries Marker
Inscription.  
Rev. George McDougall dedicated his life to frontier mission work.

As a young man, George became interested in religion and while attending one of his first revival meetings he met a young Quaker girl, Elizabeth Chantler. They were married in 1841 and their first child, John Chantler, was born the next year.

In 1860, George and his family moved to continue their work at missions in the Western Territories. They went to Norway House on Lake Winnipeg. Then, in 1862, they established a new mission at Victoria on the North Saskatchewan River, and in 1872, they moved to Fort Edmonton where they built the first church outside the fort.

In 1873 George instructed his son John, a newly ordained minister, to establish a mission for the Stoney People near the Bow River — they called it Morleyville.

We are now on our way to Fort Edmonton. The scenery is extremely beautiful. Judging from the appearance of these grassy plains, the soil must be very fertile. Animals are abundant. A herd of buffaloes allowed us to pass within fifty rods without showing fear.
(Rev. George McDougall, in a letter dated September
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2, 1862)
 
Erected by McDougall Stoney Mission Society; and the Calgary Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 51° 11.221′ N, 114° 49.501′ W. Marker is near Morley, Alberta, in Municipal District of Bighorn No. 8. Marker can be reached from Bow Valley Trail (Provincial Highway 1A) 1.6 kilometers east of Morley Road (Provincial Highway 133X), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at the McDougall Stoney Mission Historical Site, on the west side of the McDougall Memorial United Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morley AB T0L 1N0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stoney People (here, next to this marker); Establishing Morleyville (here, next to this marker); Rev. George MacDougall (here, next to this marker); Building A Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Restoring the Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Caretaker's Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Morleyville Historic Mission (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); McDougall Memorial (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morley.
 
Related markers.
Marker detail: Rev. George M. McDougall image. Click for full size.
Glenbow Archives NA-589-1
2. Marker detail: Rev. George M. McDougall
Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. McDougall Stoney Mission Historical Site
 
Also see . . .
1. George Millward McDougall.
In 1860 McDougall was appointed to the Rossville mission, near Norway House, HBC territory, and made chairman of the Methodist district extending from Oxford House and Rainy Lake (Lac La Pluie) to the Rocky Mountains. After visits to the missions in the Norway House area, he undertook an exploratory trip into the Saskatchewan valley in 1862. He conferred with fellow missionaries and with the Crees, and promised to become resident there the following year. In 1863 he and his family did indeed travel in HBC York boats up the Saskatchewan River, perhaps the first family in the vanguard of Ontario pioneers who settled in Alberta in the 1860s.
(Submitted on January 19, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. John Chantler McDougall.
At the first missionary conference held in the west, at Winnipeg in 1872, McDougall was finally ordained to the Indian service. The conference had decided to open a mission in the foothills country to minister to the Stoney, with whom Methodists had had good relations for several decades, and in 1873 McDougall was chosen to establish it. Located at a site near present-day Morley, Alberta, Morleyville became the family home.
Marker detail: Rev. John C. McDougall image. Click for full size.
Glenbow Archives NA-589-2
3. Marker detail: Rev. John C. McDougall
Following the sudden death of his father in January 1876, he was named by the Methodist Missionary Society to succeed him as chairman of the Saskatchewan District. He also continued at Morleyville.
(Submitted on January 19, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Marker detail: Rupert's Land, 1860 image. Click for full size.
4. Marker detail: Rupert's Land, 1860
Rev. George McDougall's family journey began in 1860 when he was appointed Superintendent of Missions for Rupert's Land, the vast area managed by the Hudson's Bay Company.
The Methodist Missionaries Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2022
5. The Methodist Missionaries Marker
(looking west from McDougall Memorial United Church)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 19, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=214278

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024