Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Anderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Clinton Church of Christ

1943

 
 
Clinton Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, January 28, 2023
1. Clinton Church of Christ Marker
Inscription.  The first meeting of the Clinton Church of Christ occurred during the uncertain times of World War II. Temporary dwellings dotted the landscape of Anderson County as families moved to the area to work on the secret Manhattan Project. The first worship service took place in one of these homes on February 7, 1943, with six people present: Bonnie & Iva Grissom, O.B. Trammell & son Byron, and Robert & Ariel Waters. The first preacher for the congregation was S.F. Timmerman. The next meeting place was an old union hall on Highway 25W, which they purchased in 1944. It was demolished and a new building built on the same spot three years later. By 1959, the congregation had outgrown its home. Property was purchased a short distance away at 500 North Main Street and a new building completed in 1964. The Clinton church is thought to be the oldest congregation of the Church of Christ in Anderson County.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee, Clinton Historic Downtown series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 7, 1943.
 
Location. 36° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
6.467′ N, 84° 7.888′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Tennessee, in Anderson County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 25W), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Main Street, Clinton TN 37716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cora Medaris House (within shouting distance of this marker); Train Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Eagle Bend (approx. ¼ mile away); Grotelueschen-Moxley-Haley House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas Brown House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leinart Co. Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Market Place of Pearls (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Clinton Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, January 28, 2023
2. Clinton Church of Christ Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2023, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2023, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=215086

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024