Denison in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Terrell High School
Churches and private schools provided early educational training for African American students in Denison until 1886, when Anderson Public High School opened at 530 W. Bond Street. To meet the need for improved and centralized facilities, district trustees opened a new school at this site in 1927. William R. Wims served as the first principal for Terrell School, named in honor of Augustus H. Terrell (d. 1929), noted educator, respected civic leader and first principal of Anderson High.
The original school building served all grades and included four classrooms and a small auditorium. Prominent principals Wims, Mason S. Frazier and Evans Tyree Hardeman directed the school's expansion in its formative years to serve a growing community and provide increased educational opportunities. Early teachers received low salaries, but in 1946 Sammye Taylor Savage, elementary teacher at Terrell, successfully sued for pay equalization throughout the district.
Terrell students set high standards in academics, the arts and athletics. The school produced many accomplished civic, business and professional leaders, as well as performing artists and athletes. The winning traditions of Terrell's maroon and white Dragons, including state football championships in the 1940s, were a source of community pride and identity.
With the implementation of integration came the close of Terrell High School, and the last class graduated in May 1967. Later used for middle and elementary school classes, the campus was razed in 2000, the year a new Terrell Elementary School opened nearby (200 yds. SE). Today, the history of the high school, in existence for forty years, continues to live on in the Terrell name and in the memories of its alumni.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15189.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 33° 45.895′ N, 96° 32.363′ W. Marker is in Denison, Texas, in Grayson County. It is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Street and N. Burnett Ave. on Martin Luther King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 331 Martin Luther King St, Denison TX 75020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. It is also in the American South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Saint Francis Xavier Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Joseph G. McCoy (approx. half a mile away); St. Patrick's Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); XXI Club (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); St. Luke's Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); L.A. Washington, Jr. and wife Martha A. (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denison.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2023, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2023, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

