Near Woodford in Caroline County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Spotsylvania County / Caroline County
Spotsylvania County. Area 413 Square Miles. Formed in 1720 from Essex, King and Queen, and King William, and named for Alexander Spotswood, governor of Virginia, 1710-1722. The battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness (partly) and Spotsylvania were fought in this county.
Caroline County. Area 529 Square Miles. Formed in 1727 from Essex, King and Queen, and King William. Named for Queen Caroline, wife of King George II. George Rogers Clarke, conqueror of the northwest, passed his youth in this county.
Erected 1934 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-149.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1720.
Location. 38° 12.716′ N, 77° 24.092′ W. Marker is near Woodford, Virginia, in Caroline County. Marker is on Fredericksburg Turnpike (State Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3460 Fredericksburg Turnpike, Woodford VA 22580, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonial Post Office (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Winter Line (approx. 2.3 miles away); Confederate Earthworks (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Gallant Pelham (approx. 2.3 miles away); Caroline County / Spotsylvania County (approx. 2˝ miles away); Hamilton's Crossing (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Hamilton's Crossing (approx. 3.1 miles away); Dead Horse Hill (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.