Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hancocks Bridge in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hancock House

1778

 
 
Hancock House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
1. Hancock House Marker
Inscription.  
In memory of those patriots
who were massacred by the
British in this house
March 21, 1778
----------
Erected by Oak Tree Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Salem New Jersey
1903

 
Erected 1903 by Daughters of the American Revolution, Oak Tree Chapter.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
 
Location. 39° 30.474′ N, 75° 27.58′ W. Marker is in Hancocks Bridge, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is at the intersection of Locust Island Road and New Street, on the right when traveling east on Locust Island Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hancocks Bridge NJ 08038, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hancock House Massacre (within shouting distance of this marker); Swedish Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterned Brick Houses (within shouting distance of this marker);
Hancock House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
2. Hancock House Marker
On March 21, 1778, British Maj. John Graves and about 300 troops attacked the Hancock House in retaliation for the local support of the patriot cause. The British bayoneted everyone inside the house, including Loyalist Judge William Hancock.
Patriots Massacred in the Hancock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Bridges at this Location (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Alloway Creek Watershed (about 400 feet away); Waving Acres of Grass (about 400 feet away); Quinton’s Bridge (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hancocks Bridge.
 
Also see . . .  Hancock House. New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry webpage. (Submitted on August 12, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Hancock House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
3. Hancock House Marker
The marker is located to the northeast of the Hancock House.
Hancock House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
4. Hancock House
The Hancock House was built in 1734 by Judge William Hancock and his wife Sarah. The Judges's son, William, was His Majesty's Judge of the County Court for the County of Salem. It was the son who was killed in the March 21, 1778 massacre.
Hancock House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
5. Hancock House
The brickwork of the Hancock House includes the initials of William and Sarah Hancock and the date the house was built.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,061 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 12, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 3, 2020