Gardnerville in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Perry's Dry Goods
1448 Highway 395
— Vernacular Residential Style —
This building has been used for many commercial purposes dating back to the late 1800's and early 1900's. The single story rear portion of the building is thought to be the original home of John and Mary Gardner, the Town's namesake. Ollie Haugner, who operated a shoe store here, is said to have moved it here from the Gardner Ranch. The lumber in some of the building is thought to have come from the Lake Tahoe area.
Frank Yparraguirre purchased the land and building and was the proprietor of Perry's (short for Yparraguirre) Dry Goods for over four decades. Frank, having an excellent sense of humor, once quipped he used dry goods in the business name as "wet goods" were available next door at the bar!
While remaining in the Yparraguirre family name, the building is currently home to Nettie's Fashions.
In the upper left corner of the marker is the seal of the Town of Gardnerville, while in the lower right corner is the seal of the US Forest Service, which provided a grant for this marker.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 38° 56.517′ N, 119° 45.019′ W. Marker is in GardnervilleTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1448 Highway 395, Gardnerville NV 89410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sharkey's Nugget (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); East Fork Hotel Building (about 400 feet away); The French Hotel and Bar (about 500 feet away); St. Galls Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Adaven Building (about 500 feet away); Gardnerville Branch Jail (about 600 feet away); Airtanker 130 Is Headed West (about 600 feet away); J & T Basque Restaurant Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gardnerville.
More about this marker. The marker is to the immediate right of the front door.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,051 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.