Wellsburg in Brooke County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
The Wellsburg United Methodist Church
A Fellowship of Believers For More Than Two Centuries
On April 19, 1816, John Prather, son of the founder of Wellsburg, deeded this site to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church for the erection of a meeting house, to be used as a Methodist house of worship “forever.” The first church on this site was a frame structure which existed until destroyed by fire in 1852. This building was built in 1853. It has survived the disastrous flood of 1936, and a major fire in 1989. After restoration, this wonderful old building was rededicated to the Glory of God on March 18, 1990 by Bishop William Boyd Grove, of the West Virginia Conference.
This historic marker was made possible by a substantial bequest by F. Earl McMahon, who, along with his wife, Elizabeth, were faithful members of this church for more than 75 years. It is dedicated to their memory.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is March 2004.
Location. 40° 16.405′ N, 80° 36.682′ W. Marker is in Wellsburg, West Virginia, in Brooke County. Marker is at the intersection of Charles Street and 11th Street, on the left when traveling north on Charles Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wellsburg WV 26070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1788 Wells Log House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wellsburg's Giant Sycamore (approx. 0.3 miles away); Miller's Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Patrick Gass (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Connection (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wellsburg Wharf (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brooke County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Wellsburg (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wellsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,073 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.