Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pennsville in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battery Gregg

 
 
Battery Gregg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
1. Battery Gregg Marker
Inscription.  Battery Gregg is named in honor of Captain John C. Gregg, who served as Captain in the 4th Infantry and was killed in action near Mariquana, Philippine Islands, on March 31, 1899. Completed in December 1900, Battery Gregg was the fourth of Fort Mott’s five batteries to be constructed. This battery contained emplacements for two 5-inch rapid fire guns (model 1900) mounted on pedestal mounts with shields. Both guns were not mounted at the battery until 1906. In 1913, they were removed and later shipped to Benica Arsenal, California. Several years after the guns were removed a Battery Commander’s Station was built on emplacement No. 1 for the 10-inch guns of Battery Harker.

Battery Gregg’s 5-inch rapid fire guns.
Test firing of the guns in 1907 shattered windows on the post and neighboring farms. The 5-inch rapid fire guns were produced at the Watervliet Arsenal, N.Y., and were designed to have all-around (360º) fire capability. Fort personnel reported that when the guns were installed, the field of view was obstructed by newly planted trees on the reservation.

Battery Commander’s Station.
By 1920 the Battery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Commander’s Station was built to direct the fire of the 10-inch guns in Battery Harker. This structure, and a similar one built in Battery Krayenbuhl for Battery Arnold . . . . provided a place for the Battery Commander to supervise the operation of his guns. He would check the work of the plotting room by setting his sighting instrument where the target should be and note the accuracy of the plot. He would also spot the fall of the shot and make any corrections needed to bring the fire of his Battery on target.


5-inch gun: Model 1900     Class 56   Division 10
Overall Length     258.5 Inches (21 ft, 6½ in.)
Weight of Gun       11,120 Pounds
Muzzle Velocity     2,600 Feet Per Second
Maximum Range          12,918 Yards (7.33 miles)
Weight of Projectile      59 Pounds
Weight of Powder Charge     22.25 Pounds
Chamber Pressure        36,000 Pounds Per Square Inch
Muzzle Energy            2,721 Foot Tons


5-inch Barbette Carriages: Model 1903   Class 6 Division 6
Firing Angle     -5 to +15 Degrees
Traverse           360 Degrees
Weight of Carriage     21,573.5 Pounds
Type of Sight     3-inch Telescope Model 1904
 
Erected by State of New Jersey.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesMilitary. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1888.
 
Location.
Marker at Fort Mott image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
2. Marker at Fort Mott
39° 36.202′ N, 75° 33.024′ W. Marker is in Pennsville, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker can be reached from Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the walking trail in Fort Mott State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pennsville NJ 08070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome (to Fort Mott) (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery Harker (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Observation Towers (about 300 feet away); The Moat and the Parados (about 300 feet away); The Wharf (about 500 feet away); Two Batteries in one (about 600 feet away); Pea Patch Island (about 700 feet away); The Latrines (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pennsville.
 
More about this marker. The marker contains a copy of the blueprints for the guns at Battery Gregg.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Mott State Park. NJ Division of Parks & Forestry website. (Submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Battery Commander's Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
3. Battery Commander's Station
A Battery Commander’s Station, like this one at Battery Krayenbuhl, was built on Battery Gregg's emplacement No. 1 for the 10-inch guns of Battery Harker around 1920.
Fort Mott State Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
4. Fort Mott State Park
The Battery Gregg marker is Stop #1 on the Walking Tour of Fort Mott State Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 853 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21735

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024