Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

"Oakhurst" Golf Club

 
 
"Oakhurst" Golf Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 27, 2009
1. "Oakhurst" Golf Club Marker
Inscription.  Site of the first organized golf club in United States. It was formed, 1884, on the "Oakhurst estate of owner, Russell W. Montague, a New Englander and Scotchmen" George Grant, Alexander m. and Roderick McLeod and Lionel Torrin.
 
Erected 1963 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 37° 48.135′ N, 80° 17.126′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is on E. Main St. (U.S. 60). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Sulphur Springs WV 24986, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dry Creek Battle (here, next to this marker); The Battle of White Sulphur (within shouting distance of this marker); White Sulphur (approx. 1˝ miles away); Kate's Mountain (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Old White (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Greenbrier Clinic and Project Greek Island
"Oakhurst" Golf Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, July 21, 2008
2. "Oakhurst" Golf Club Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.7 miles away); President's Cottage (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Springhouse (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Sulphur Springs.
 
"Oakhurst" Golf Club image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, May 7, 2011
3. "Oakhurst" Golf Club
View of the Golf course at Oakhurst
"Oakhurst" Golf Club House image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, May 7, 2011
4. "Oakhurst" Golf Club House
The main golf club building at the golf course
"Oakhurst" Golf Club Historic Designation image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, May 7, 2011
5. "Oakhurst" Golf Club Historic Designation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2014, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21752

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 25, 2022