Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canton in Cherokee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cherokee County Gold

 
 
Cherokee County Gold Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
1. Cherokee County Gold Marker
Inscription.  Cherokee County, located along Georgia’s gold belt, figured prominently in the gold rush of the 1830’s and 40’s. Several mines operated along a five mile area near the Etowah River in the northeastern part of the county, including the Franklin-Creighton, Sandow, and Latham Mines. More than 30 other small placer mines extended southwesterly across the county and included the Sixes Mine, worked earlier by the Cherokees. After the 1860’s, most gold mining operations in the county either slowed or ceased. The most successful, and most sophisticated, the Franklin-Creighton, continued operations until 1913, when a shaft collapsed and the mine was flooded.
 
Erected 1988 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 028-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
 
Location. 34° 14.245′ N, 84° 29.454′ W. Marker is in Canton, Georgia, in Cherokee
Cherokee County Gold Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
2. Cherokee County Gold Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is on North Street, 0.1 miles west of North Church Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is in front of the old Cherokee County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 North Street, Canton GA 30114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cherokee County (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Emerson Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crescent Farm Rock Barn (approx. half a mile away); Fort Buffington (approx. 4.4 miles away); Battle of Taliwa (approx. 9.6 miles away); Thomas B. Newton House (approx. 10.2 miles away); McConnell-Chadwick Homestead (approx. 10.3 miles away); Nix - Bell House (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
 
The Cherokee County Courthouse and the marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
3. The Cherokee County Courthouse and the marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,776 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21821

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 25, 2022