Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Shiloh School

1928 - 1954

 
 
Shiloh School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
1. Shiloh School Marker
Inscription.  Shiloh School was located just beyond the Illinois Monument. In 1928, a ten room building with auditorium was erected at cost of $18,000 with a gym added later. Much of the equipment was built and bought by teachers and patrons of the school. The first teachers were John Hinkle, Lillie Farris, Ivy Wood Milligan and Mancil Milligan. Students from Pickwick, Counce, Wayne, Childers Hill, New Hope, West Shiloh and Shiloh attended the school. The School grew and became a four year accredited high school with the first graduating class in 1931. Shiloh High School was known to have outstanding students scholastically and winning basketball teams as well.

Students of the Shiloh School are located throughout the United States in very successful occupations and professions. The school was closed in 1954 with students attending Southside School.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
 
Location. 35° 8.007′ N, 88° 21.28′ W. Marker is near Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Corinth-Pittsburg Landing Road, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling north. Located at stop seven, Shiloh Church, in Shiloh National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 17th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp of 77th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh Log Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Shiloh Log Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Violent Sabbath (within shouting distance of this marker); Follow, Not Go! (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
 
Shiloh School Marker and 17th Illinois Infantry Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
2. Shiloh School Marker and 17th Illinois Infantry Monument
The school buildings stood in the open area around this marker.
Location of One of the School Buildings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, March 16, 2009
3. Location of One of the School Buildings
As recently as the early 1980s, some of the buildings stood adjacent to Shiloh Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21968

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024