Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

E Clampus Vitus Building

 
 
E Clampus Vitus Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
1. E Clampus Vitus Building Marker
Inscription.  Constructed the year following the great 1875 conflagration, the building had deteriorated in latter-days until all that remained was the front brick façade in 1969. During this year the site was purchased by the Virginia City Chapter of E Clampus Vitus with the intent of restoring the historic property and utilizing it as their lodge hall. For many years it had been referred to as The Moran Building, named for a local assayer and surveyor who retained the premises from 1905 until 1938.

List of Ownership
[Column 1:]
1876 - J.G. Harrington ● 1897 - Crosby Company ● 1903 - Fred & Frank Lentz ● 1904 - F.L. Langan

Column 2:]
1905 - W.T. Moran ● 1938 - Frank Lazzeri ● 1953 - D.E. Comeron ● 1954 - Knight of Pythias ●
1969 - Julia C. Bulette 1864, E.C.V.

Dedicated June 24, 6000 A.L.
By Julia C. Bulette Chapter E. Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 1995 by Julia C. Bulette Chapter 1864, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Topics and series.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Places. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 24, 1875.
 
Location. 39° 18.69′ N, 119° 39′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on B Street near Union Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Miners Union Hall (here, next to this marker); The Glory of Solidarity and Fraternity (a few steps from this marker); 601's (a few steps from this marker); Piper’s Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Piper’s Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Michelson Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Territorial Enterprise (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Dog Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
E Clampus Vitus Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
2. E Clampus Vitus Building Marker
 
E Clampus Vitus Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
3. E Clampus Vitus Building
Marker can be seen between the right window panel and the center entrance doors.
E Clampus Vitus Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
4. E Clampus Vitus Building
To the left is the K of P (Knight of Pythias) Building.
E Clampus Vitus Building in 1970 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lester J Letson, circa 2004
5. E Clampus Vitus Building in 1970
From a picture hanging on the wall of the E Clampus Vitus building showing a photo from a 1971 Sunset Magazine article about the building and its new owner's plans for it.
When it was known as The Moran Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lester J Letson, circa 2004
6. When it was known as The Moran Building
From an undated picture hanging on the wall inside the E Clampus Vitus building showing what it looked like in the 1960's before E Clampus Vitus purchased it and restoration began.
E Clampus Vitus Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 24, 2009
7. E Clampus Vitus Building
Flanked on the right by the Old Miners Union Hall and to the left by the K of P Building.
Women's Restroom Door Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lester J Letson, circa June, 2007
8. Women's Restroom Door Plaque
A plaque mounted on the women's restroom door in the E Clampus Vitus building identifies the door itself as having been a gift from the Cash brothers. It was obtained from a demolished Reno brothel. A door once used by men in Reno is now used to provide for widow's relief.

Plaque reads:
This door once was a portal to paradise for the brethren. A valueless relic acquired from the Reno "Cribs" upon demolition. The "Cribs" were curiously situated just across the Truckee River from the Reno Police Station.

A gift from the Cash brothers
to the ECV Building
to now provide for widows relief
Founders of Julia C. Bulette Chapter image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
9. Founders of Julia C. Bulette Chapter
[This marker is located on the front of the Bucket of Blood Saloon on C Street]

On January 11, 1963, 13 members of E Clampus Vitus met at the Bucket of Blood Saloon for the purpose of forming a new chapter of E Clampus Vitus.

Those present were: Louie Beaupre, Marsh Fey, John DuFresne, Jim Lydon, Jack Cross, Ed Lydon, Bob Barry, Tiny Carlson, Ted Garland, Scott McCulloch, Frank Phillips, Bob Richards and Click Slocum.

Through the efforts of these Clampers, Julia C. Bulette Chapter was granted a charter and has become one of the premier chapters of E Clampus Vitus.

Dedicated June 25, 2005 (6010)
Julia C. Bulette Chapter 1864
E Clampus Vitus
Bucket of Blood Saloon image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
10. Bucket of Blood Saloon
Site of the Meeting of E Clampus Vitus Members to establish the Julia Bulette Chapter.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,089 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   5, 6. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.   7. submitted on August 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   8. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.   9. submitted on August 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   10. submitted on August 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21986

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024