Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Storey County Courthouse
Comstock Historical Marker No. 8
— 26 South B Street, Virginia City, NV —
Storey County was organized in 1860 and is named after Captain Edward Storey who was killed during the Pyramid Lake Indian wars in Nevada. The prior courthouse erected on this site was destroyed in the Great Fire of October 26, 1875, that also burned many of Virginia City’s early documents. Storey County hired the architectural firm of Kenitzer and Raum of San Francisco to design the replacement. Work began in 1876 by contractor Peter Burke, and was finished in 1877 at a cost of $117,000.00. The courthouse also served as headquarters for the Storey County Sheriff’s Office until 1992 when a new facility was built on State Route 341, about a ¼ mile from this site. This building is one of two nineteenth century courthouses in Nevada still serving county government. It currently houses the Clerk Treasurer, Assessor, Comptroller, Recorder, County Manager and the County Commissioners.
The Statue of Justice perched on the second-floor alcove is the only one to grace the exterior of a Nevada building, and has been the source of much controversy. The seven foot zinc figure was manufactured in New York and arrived in Virginia City in 1877 at a cost of only $236.00. Over the years a legend has evolved that she was one of only a few created not blindfolded. Research has proven that about 20 such models exist in the country. Perhaps this one was chosen by residents to make sure that justice would always see that justice prevailed on the Comstock.
Erected 2009 by Walling and Wyble Families,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1878.
Location. 39° 18.633′ N, 119° 39.017′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on B Street near Union Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 South B Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Storey County Jail (a few steps from this marker); Piper’s Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Piper’s Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire of 1875 (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia City (within shouting distance of this marker); Founders of Julia C. Bulette Chapter (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Engine Co. No.3 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
More about this marker. This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . . Storey County. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on August 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Additional keywords. Comstock Lode
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on August 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.