Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elon in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Elon University

 
 
Elon University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Patrick G. Jordan, April 25, 2010
1. Elon University Marker
Inscription. Founded Elon College by the Christian Church in 1889. Coeducational. Burned in 1923; rebuilt 1923 - 26.
 
Erected 2002 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number G-52.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationReligion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 36° 6.158′ N, 79° 30.4′ W. Marker is in Elon, North Carolina, in Alamance County. It is on North Williamson Avenue near West Haggard Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 N Williamson Ave, Elon NC 27244, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in North Carolina’s Piedmont and specifically in Piedmont Triad. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Elon Homes for Children (approx. 0.3 miles away); Berry Davidson (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dentzel Carousel (approx. 3.3 miles away); Battle of Alamance (approx. 3½ miles away); Pine Hill Cemetery - Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Friedens Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Cammack Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); North Carolina Railroad (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Elon University is a beautiful campus. The brick walkways throughout are perfect for strolling.
 
Regarding Elon University. Elon College opened in 1889 with William S. Long as the founder and first president. The college was built at Mill Point, a small stop on the North Carolina Railroad. The place was also known as "Boon's Crossing."

The name Elon is the Hebrew word for "oak". The name was selected due to the old oak trees which dominated the land to be cleared for the college.

Elon College opened on September 2, 1890,
Elon University Marker at Intersection image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Patrick G. Jordan, April 25, 2010
2. Elon University Marker at Intersection
as a four-year liberal arts college.

The community grew quickly around the college, and was incorporated in 1893 as Elon College. In January 1923, the main campus building was destroyed by fire along with the chapel, the library and many school records. During the reconstruction, which took about three years to complete, the campus was expanded and five new buildings were built to accommodate the growing college.

Elon College added graduate degree programs in the 1980s. A law degree program was added in 2006.The college changed its name to Elon University in 2000. At the same time, the name of the town was changed from Elon College to Elon.
 
Also see . . .  Elon University. (Submitted on April 26, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina.)
 
Additional keywords. Alamance, Company Shops, Burlington, Graham, William S. Long, Boones Crossing, Boons, Mill Point
 
Back Side of the Elon University Marker Covered by Detour Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Patrick G. Jordan, April 25, 2010
3. Back Side of the Elon University Marker Covered by Detour Sign
Elon University image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Patrick G. Jordan, April 25, 2010
4. Elon University
The Alamance Building and the Fountain on Haggard Avenue
The Belk Library at Elon University image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Patrick G. Jordan, April 25, 2010
5. The Belk Library at Elon University
The Clock in Front of Belk Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Patrick G. Jordan, April 25, 2010
6. The Clock in Front of Belk Library
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,284 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on May 9, 2023, by Michael Buckner of Durham, North Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
m=222812

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 28, 2026