Fayetteville in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Wilson Park History
As early as 1906, Wilson Park, Fayetteville's original City Park, was first owned, maintained and operated privately by civic-minded A. L. Trent. Each spring, Trent's Pond, now used as a softball field on the east side of the park, was used by local residents as the city's swimming hole, boating area and social gathering spot. The photograph above shows the pond circa mid-1920s. The view is facing east with Prospect Street shown in the background.
In the mid-1920s, University of Arkansas Professor Noah F. Drake led a group of local businessmen who purchased City Park from Mr. Trent. They formed the City Park Company which built the first permanent pool at the park in 1926 as well as a tourist camp for the new and burgeoning automobile travel craze then sweeping the nation. This 5-acre portion of the park was purchased by the City of Fayetteville in 1944.
In 1946, renowned local author Charles Morrow Wilson sold and donated 17 acres of land west of the original park, known as Wilsons Pasture, to the city. Wilson specified that City Park, which became the size it is now, be officially named Mattie Morrow Wilson Memorial Park, in honor of his mother. Today it is named Wilson Park and is one of the citys most popular parks.
[Captions:]
Trent's Pond Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History/Washington County Historical Society Collection (P-490)
Noah F. Drake Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
C. M. Wilson Family Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
A.L. Trent Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History/Washington County Historical Society Collection (P-2117)
City Park Company Tourist Camp. A remnant marker from the original tourist camp era is still located near the only remaining stone cottage camp structure in Wilson Park.
Charles Morrow Wilson Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
Erected 2014 by City of Fayetteville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 36° 4.372′ N, 94° 9.648′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in Washington County. It is on Wilson Park Trail north of North Park Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Wilson Park Trail is pedestrian-only. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 675 N Park Ave, Fayetteville AR 72701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Northwest Arkansas, on the Ozark Plateau, in the Cherokee Heritage Region, and in Osage Territory. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, and in the Ozarks. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, the Louisiana Purchase, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Wade-Heerwagen House (approx. half a mile away); Site of Civil War Arsenal (approx. half a mile away); Headquarters House (approx. half a mile away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Scene of Hot Fighting (approx. half a mile away); Will Rogers (approx. half a mile away); James William Fulbright (approx. half a mile away); James William Fullbright (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2026. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2023, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2023, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

