Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nokomis in Northumberland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Coan Baptist Church

 
 
Coan Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
1. Coan Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  One mile west stands Coan Baptist Church. The Congregation, first known as Wicomico Baptist Church, was organized on 17 November 1804. The members worshiped in each other’s houses until a frame building, Coan Meeting House, was moved to this site in 1811. In the 1830s, under its pastor, Jeremiah Bell Jeter, the congregation grew, necessitating a larger building. On 3 October 1847 pastor Addison Hall dedicated the present church, built of locally fired bricks. The stone steps were transported from Baltimore on a sailing vessel to Barnes’s Wharf (Nokomis) and from there on ox-drawn carts to the church. The church exhibits two architectural styles, Federal outside and Greek Revival inside.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number O-56.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 3, 1847.
 
Location.
Coan Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
2. Coan Baptist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
37° 56.142′ N, 76° 30.177′ W. Marker is near Nokomis, Virginia, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Northumberland Highway (U.S. 360) and Coan Stage Road (County Route 612), on the right when traveling east on Northumberland Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Heathsville VA 22473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. British Raids on the Coan River (within shouting distance of this marker); John Heath (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Stephen’s Parish (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rice’s Hotel, Hughlett’s Tavern (approx. 2.1 miles away); Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III (approx. 2.1 miles away); Holley Graded School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Northumberland Courthouse Square (approx. 2.1 miles away); Northumberland County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Coan Baptist Church. (Submitted on October 27, 2020.)
 
Coan Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
3. Coan Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,104 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22534

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021