Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Cedars

 
 
The Cedars Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
1. The Cedars Marker
Inscription.  In 1836, John Banks and his wife, the former Sarah Watkins, both natives of Elbert Co., Ga., moved to Columbus, bought this property (then totaling 265 acres) in the fashionable suburb of Wynnton and began construction of this Greek Revival house. Already a successful lawyer and merchant, Banks became involved in banking and manufacturing, the operation of large plantations south of the city, and local philanthropy including the co-founding of the Wynnton School on his property. The Cedars, his family residence, boasts 18-inch thick exterior brick walls and interior faux graining and marbling. It has remained continuously in the Banks family.
 
Erected 1994 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Banks Descendants.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 32° 28.33′ N, 84° 57.69′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 13th Street and Cedar Avenue, on the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
left when traveling east on 13th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2039 13th Street, Columbus GA 31906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wynnton School Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); He Helped Bring And Keep Fort Benning (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carson McCullers (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Elms (approx. half a mile away); Camp Benning (approx. 0.6 miles away); “Wildwood” (approx. ¾ mile away); The First Breech Loading Cannon (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Columbus Museum (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
The Cedars, Marker and House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
2. The Cedars, Marker and House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,801 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22560

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024