Brick Church School
ca 1896-1918
The Brick Church School, a wooden one-room school, stood on this site in the late 1890s. In the photograph on the left, a row of stones that formed part of the foundation is still visible. Within this one-room structure, the teacher provided instruction for students ages six through twenty-one in grades one through seven. Students walked to school, and some hiked distances well over one mile.
The school building was very different in this early period of state education as well as the circumstances for those attending. The building was heated by a potbelly stove and the wood had to be carried in each day. A bucket of fresh drinking water with a common dipper was provided for students daily. Rows of wooden benches filled each side of the room. Quite often, students were nearly the same age as their teacher. The duration of school sessions was shorter then, typically running from October through March. The shorter school year was necessary as parents needed their children to help with the fall harvest and with spring planting. Harsh winters made weather a factor in determining attendance as well.
In the state of Virginia, prior to 1870, most education was obtained through private schools or teachers. Therefore, only a very few students received any schooling. This began to change in 1870 when the General Assembly mandated that all Virginia counties establish local school boards to oversee a system of free public education. The Page County School system was established, and within the next few decades, several schools were built in each of the county's four districts including the Brick Church School in the Shenandoah Iron Works District. A deed dated January 21, 1896, states that George W. Kite and wife, Mary, sold the land for Brick Church School to the Board of Trustees for the Shenandoah Iron Works District for $10.00. Furthermore, the deed states that if and when this land ceased to be used for public school purposes, it reverted back to the grantors, the Kites.
In 1880, well before Brick Church School was established, the superintendent of Page County Schools reported to the State Board of Education that twelve schools were already operating in the Shenandoah Iron Works District. As enrollments steadily increased, the smaller one-two room schools
In the early 1900s, parents and students began to recognize the need for a higher education beyond seventh grade. About 1915, Grove Hill was offering a two-year high school program of instruction that continued until 1931. Shenandoah High School, which offered four years of high school as early as 1924, began to enroll a few students from the Grove Hill area as early as 1929. The first public transportation provided for students traveling from Grove Hill to Shenandoah was a truck covered with canvas top and wooden benches for seats. The first actual school bus was privately owned by Mr. C.A. Shuler, and in 1931, began transporting students from Grove Hill and surrounding areas to Shenandoah High School. His son, Paul Shuler, a senior at Shenandoah High, was the driver. Page County High School,
Back row standing left to right: John Harlow, Willie Smith, Richard Foltz, Earl Kite, Elbert Shuler, Ray Louderback, Granville Harlow, Lawrence Foltz and Max Louderback.
The legacy of the one-room school, including Brick Church, remains a crucial part of the foundation and future of public education in Page County and all of Virginia.
Ralph W. Harlow
January, 2015
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is January 21, 1896.
Location. 38° 33.049′ N, 78° 36.423′ W. Marker is in Shenandoah, Virginia, in Page County. It is on U.S. 340 0.3 miles north of Brick Church Lane, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located beside the parking lot on the south side of Saint Paul's Lutheran Church & Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6355 US Highway 340, Shenandoah VA 22849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere,

Brick Church School
(Shenandoah Iron Works District)
John Wilson Dave Dofflemoyer Fred Dofflemoyer
Second Row: L. to R.
Will Wilson Perry Wilson Ivan Wilson Perry Jenkins Elmer Shuler Oscar Shuler Willie Denvers Ada Jenkins Pete Painter Jil Foltz Adli Kite Kirby Strole Dave Harlow Ben Dofflemoyer
Third Row: L. to R.
James Wilson, Jr. Willie Shuler Sudie Harlow (Hansbrough) Mary Emerson Virginia Painter (Cubbage) Eura Huffman (Spitler) Lula Dofflemoyer Ada Dofflemoyer Bertha Snyder Ethel Huffman (Kite) Edith Kite Dave Foltz Myrtle Strole Bettie Wilson (Foltz) Mary Campbell (Foltz) Mattie Campbell (Painter)
Fourth Row: L. to R.
Vernce Foltz Clarence Foltz James Strole Eunice Shuler Ada Emerson Stella Foltz Lula Courtney Fannie Brown (Teacher) Molar Foltz Byrd Lucas Carl Foltz Homer Foltz George Painter
Fifth Row: L. to R.
Grace Foltz (Louderback) Bessie Wilson (Strole) Daisy Foltz (Kite) Virgie Strole (Roudabush) Bertha Shuler Leah Shuler Mike Shuler (Teacher) Mamie Strole (Hockman) Lynda Snyder (Foltz) Mamie Dovel (May) Lula Painter (Campbell) Virgie Campbell (Housden)
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Execution of Summers and Koontz (approx. 0.8 miles away); Catherine Furnace (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Burning of Red Bridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Somerville Heights (approx. 1.8 miles away); Shenandoah Iron Works District War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial Fields (approx. 4 miles away); Shenandoah World War I & II Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shenandoah.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 16, 2023, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.



