Highlands in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station
In 1848, eight lifeboat stations were built along the New Jersey coast between Sandy Hook and Little Egg Harbor. You are looking at the only surviving structure of the original eight. It was moved here from its Sandy Hook location in 1954 to be preserved as part of the Twin Lights Historic Site.
Lifeboat stations were placed on the beach because the rescue equipment was too heavy and awkward to be hauled long distances. A keeper and volunteers staffed the buildings to provide rescue services to shipwreck victims.
In 1872, this original lifeboat station building was replaced with a larger one and, as the United States Life Saving Service grew into a professional organization, a third and final building was constructed in 1894. The third building is now preserved by the National Park Service and serves as the Sandy Hook National Park Visitor Center.
Originally located at Spermaceti Cove on Sandy Hook, this station was one of the first built in the U.S. The station contained apparatus for rescue of shipwreck survivors. The U.S. Lifesaving
Erected by NJ Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks & Forestry.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 40° 23.794′ N, 73° 59.159′ W. Marker is in Highlands, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road. Marker is located at the Twin Lights Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marconi at Twin Lights (here, next to this marker); The Old North Tower (a few steps from this marker); Telegraph and Radar at Twin Lights (a few steps from this marker); Navesink Light Station (a few steps from this marker); The Navesink Highlands Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Twin Lights Mystery Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Powerhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Highlands Doughboy World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highlands.
More about this marker. The bottom left of the marker contains a photograph of the “Interior of Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station in 1947. Courtesy of the National Geographic Society.” Next to this is a photograph of the “Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station, Sandy Hook c. 1940. Courtesy of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.” The right side of the marker features a picture of “The Lifesaving Service in action at Sandy Hook”. It has a caption of “This 1877 Harper’s Weekly Illustration shows the different methods of rescue used to save shipwreck victims. The surfman in the center picture is holding a flare to signal the Life Saving Station that he had discovered a wreck while on patrol. Pictured around him are the surfmen launching a rescue boat, the beach apparatus cart being pulled to the shipwreck location, a victim being hauled to safety in a breeches buoy, and the line-throwing cannon being fired. The cannon was used to shoot lines out to the distressed ship, allowing the buoy or Life Car to be sent back and forth. Courtesy of the Twin Lights Historical Scoiety.”
Also see . . . Navesink Lighthouse. Lighthouse Friends website entry (Submitted on April 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 933 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.