Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Harris County

 
 
Harris County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
1. Harris County Marker
Inscription.  This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The first Court House was built in 1831 and the present one in 1908. First election was held in Feb. 1828. First county officers were: Sheriff Lewis Wynn, Superior Court Clerk Clark Blandford, Inferior Court Clerk Josiah W. Batchelder, Surveyor Absalom Beddell, Coroner F.A.B. Wheeler, Tax Receiver Burrell Blackmon, Tax Collector John D. Johnson.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 072-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1828.
 
Location. 32° 45.533′ N, 84° 52.494′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of North College Street (U.S. 27) and Barnes Mill Road, on the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
right when traveling north on North College Street. The marker is in front of the Harris County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton GA 31811, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S.S. Harris County (here, next to this marker); B. F. White (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbus Baptist Association (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hamilton Female College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Valley of Hope (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project (approx. 4.2 miles away); Callaway Gardens (approx. 5 miles away); Pioneer Log Cabin (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Harris County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
2. Harris County Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1908 by the Mutual Construction Company for $35,000.
Harris County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
3. Harris County Courthouse
Two markers stand in front of the courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,091 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22825

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024