Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers

 
 
The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 1990
1. The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers Marker
Inscription.  The Columbus Enquirer and The Columbus Ledger have been published from this site since 1930. The Enquirer was founded in 1828 by Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, later the second president of the Republic of Texas. The Ledger was founded in 1886 by Edward T. Byington and his wife, Ella G. Byington. In 1893, The Ledger was purchased by Rinaldo William Page. The Page family purchased the Enquirer in 1930 and owned both newspapers until they were sold to Knight Newspapers, Inc., now Knight-Ridder Inc., in 1973. Both have won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, journalism’s highest award, The Enquirer in 1926 and The Ledger in 1955. The Mediterranean style building was completed in 1930 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
 
Erected 1986 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the R. W. Page Corporation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
 
Location. 32° 28.11′ N, 84° 59.652′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 12st Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, 0 miles east of Front Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 West 12th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Columbus (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kirven's Department Store (about 400 feet away); Eagle & Phenix Mills (about 600 feet away); Oglethorpe House (about 800 feet away); The Dam (1882) & Powerhouses (1899) (about 800 feet away); The Fall Line (about 800 feet away); Cotton Warehouses (about 800 feet away); The Creek Indians and the Falls (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Additional keywords. Newspapers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,588 times since then and 27 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22873

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024