Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In the late 1850s, Cahaba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad. One of the first large brick structures built in this prosperous period was completed in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh.
He wanted the town to have a large hall for public occasions. The second floor was fitted up as a concert or exhibition hall. Many fancy dress balls were held here.
A small cellar from this structure is still visible today.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 32° 19.098′ N, 87° 5.79′ W. Marker was in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker was on 1st Street North, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: Vine Street, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America.
We have been informed that this This page is an archival view of what was.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Saltmarsh Hall (here, next to this marker); A Courthouse Reduced to Rubble (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons (within shouting distance of this marker); Dallas County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Downtown Cahawba (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Depot and Commissary (about 300 feet away); Cahaba First State Capital (about 400 feet away); Drug Store & the Rooms Above (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a newer marker, also titled "Saltmarsh Hall" with some of the same text.
Also see . . . Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,819 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 2. submitted on June 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.