Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Saltmarsh Hall

 
 
Saltmarsh Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, June 1, 2020
1. Saltmarsh Hall Marker
Inscription.  In the late 1850s, Cahawba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad.

One of the first structures built during this prosperous period was completed on this corner in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh. He wanted the town to have a large hall for public occasions.

The second floor was used as a concert or exhibition hall. Many "fancy dress balls” were held here.

Flag Presentation
July 4th, 1856 - The ladies in town gathered in Saltmarsh Hall to present a flag to the members of Cahaba's militia. The flag was made of green silk with gold fringe. On one side was painted the American Eagle, clasping in its talons thunderbolts and an olive branch. On the other side surrounded by 13 gold stars was this legend:

Cahaba Rifles
Presented by the Ladies of Cahaba.
July 4, 1856
Semper Paratus

 
Erected by the Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
EntertainmentSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1856.
 
Location. 32° 19.098′ N, 87° 5.785′ W. Marker is in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Vine Street and 1st Street North, on the right when traveling south on Vine Street. Located at Old Cahawba Archaeological Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orrville AL 36767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Courthouse Reduced to Rubble (within shouting distance of this marker); Dallas County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Downtown Cahawba (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Depot and Commissary (about 300 feet away); Drug Store & the Room Above (about 300 feet away); Drug Store & the Rooms Above (about 300 feet away); Cahaba First State Capital (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaces an older marker, also titled
Saltmarsh Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, June 1, 2020
2. Saltmarsh Hall Marker
The sun has reflected off the marker.
"Saltmarsh Hall" with some of the same text.
 
Regarding Saltmarsh Hall. "Semper Paratus" is a Latin phrase, meaning "Always Ready".
 
Also see . . .  Alabama Department of Archives and History digital photo of Saltmarsh Hall. (Submitted on June 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150847

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024