Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Dallas County Courthouse
Cahawba was the county seat from 1818 to 1866. This brought a lot of people, business and money into town. When the county seat was moved to Selma in 1866, most of Cahaba's residents moved also.
After the Civil War, the abandoned courthouse became a meeting hall for freedman seeking new political power. Cahaba was known as the "Mecca of the Radical Republican Party." This was shortlived, and by 1879 a steam-powered cotton gin was being operated in this structure.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 32° 19.081′ N, 87° 5.778′ W. Marker is in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Vine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orrville AL 36767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are A Courthouse Reduced to Rubble (a few steps from this marker); Saltmarsh Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Depot and Commissary (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Downtown Cahawba (within shouting distance of this marker); Vine Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mound at Old Cahawba Archaeological Park (about 300 feet away); Cahaba First State Capital (about 300 feet away); Alabama's First Statehouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
Also see . . . Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,060 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.