Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Old Glebe in Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Walker Chapel

 
 
Walker Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 24, 2007
1. Walker Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Walker Chapel, a small frame country church of the Mount Olivet Circuit, was dedicated at this location on July 18, 1876. It was named in honor of the Walker family who donated the Walker Grave Yard as the site for the church. A new frame church was built nearby in 1903 although the original chapel structure continued in use as a Sunday school until its demolition in 1930. The present building dates from 1959. The earliest recorded burial in the adjacent cemetery was that of David Walker, who died in 1848.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1826.
 
Location. 38° 55.301′ N, 77° 7.752′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. It is in Old Glebe. Marker is at the intersection of North Glebe Road (Virginia Route 120) and Old Glebe Road on North Glebe Road. In front of Walker Chapel United Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4102 North Glebe Road, Arlington VA 22207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. RADM Paul A. Holmberg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Ethan Allen (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 3 (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Ethan Allen (approx. ¼ mile away); Welcome to Fort Ethan Allen (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Defensive Stronghold, Heavily Armed (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Bastion-Style Fort Is a Mighty Fortress (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Sanctuary (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Marker along Glebe Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 24, 2007
2. Marker along Glebe Road
Walker Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 24, 2007
3. Walker Chapel
The Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 24, 2007
4. The Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,463 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2316

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024