Pineville in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Village of Pineville
Pineville, established in 1793-94, was one of the first planters' retreats in the South. James Sinkler built the first summer house here in 1793. Pineville, named for its "religiously preserved" pines and known for its "sweet and balmy air," became a village in 1794 after John Cordes, Peter Gaillard, John Palmer and Peter, Philip, and Samuel Porcher built houses here as well.
By 1830 Pineville had more than 60 houses, a chapel, an academy, a library, and a race track. Federick Porcher wrote in 1858, "the prestige of its ancient fame remains." Union troops burned most of the village in 1865, except the chapel, library, post office and Gourdin House (ca. 1820). The Pineview Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Erected 2008 by The Village of Pineville. (Marker Number 8-52.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 25.616′ N, 80° 1.744′ W. Marker is in PinevilleTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pineville SC 29468, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maham Plantation (approx. ¾ mile away); Thomas Walter (approx. 2.7 miles away); Francis Marion / Francis Marion's Grave (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Elusive Francis Marion: The Stuff of Legend (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Elusive Francis Marion: Guerrilla Commander (approx. 3.8 miles away); Francis Marion’s Grave (approx. 3.8 miles away); DeWitt Williams Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); Village of Eadytown (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
Regarding Village of Pineville. The Pineville Historic District illustrates Pineville’s original role as a nineteenth century pineland village as well as its gradual transformation to agricultural land and to a year-round community in the late-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Berkeley County’s wealthy planter class, wishing to avoid the fevers associated with their low lying plantations during the summer months, established inland settlements, particularly in areas wooded with pine trees, beginning in the late eighteenth century. The Pineville
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,759 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 12, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.