Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Niblack Mansion

 
 
Niblack Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
1. Niblack Mansion Marker
Inscription.  Site of first Courthouse in Indiana Territory - 1813 to about 1834. Was starting point in 1821 for survey of Indiana - Illinois boundary.

Present structure, probably built in 1850's, became home of Hon. Wm. E. Niblack, Congressman, Indiana Supreme Court Judge, and father of a legislator, an Admiral, and an eminent banker.
 
Erected 1969 by Historical and Antiquarian Society of Vincennes, American Legion Post #73.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 38° 40.801′ N, 87° 31.703′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street and Buntin Street, on the right when traveling west on North 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Synod of Indiana of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (about 700 feet away); Ellis Mansion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 800 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory (about 800 feet away); State Bank of Indiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Grand Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Francis Vigo (approx. 0.2 miles away); " Let There Be Light " (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
 
Also see . . .  William E. Niblack from Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 18, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Obverse Side - - Niblack Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
2. Obverse Side - - Niblack Mansion Marker
Wide View - - Niblack Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
3. Wide View - - Niblack Mansion Marker
Other Wide View - - Niblack Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
4. Other Wide View - - Niblack Mansion Marker
Long View - - Niblack Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
5. Long View - - Niblack Mansion Marker
(Click on photo to see details.) Note the marker on the corner to the right in the photo. The Niblack Mansion is now home of the American Legion Post #73.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 14, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23278

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024