Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Norcross in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church

Circa 1899

 
 
Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899 Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 14, 2007
1. Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899 Marker
Inscription.  Originally chartered in 1833 by the Fairview Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, the church was originally located at the intersection of Beaver Ruin Road and Hopkins Mill Road on land donated by Thomas H. Jones and was known as the Goshen Presbyterian Church. Reverend John Simpson Wilson was the first pastor and also served the Fairview Church as well. He remained until 1844 when he was succeeded by Dr. James Patterson. Contemplating a union with the Methodist church around the corner, the Goshen church sold their land and building and built the existing facility in 1899. For reasons not recorded the union never materialized. Over time the name “Goshen Church” began to fade and the church became known as the Norcross Presbyterian Church. The church purchased a larger tract of land on Medlock Bridge Road in 1965 and has since relocated.
 
Erected by CIty of Norcross, Gwinnett County, Georgia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 33° 56.51′ N, 84° 12.726′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Norcross, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is at the intersection of Jones Street NW and Lawrenceville Street NW, on the left when traveling east on Jones Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norcross GA 30071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross (within shouting distance of this marker); Thrasher Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brunswick Hotel (about 600 feet away); Historic Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Holy Row" (approx. ¼ mile away); Garrard's Cavalry at Buchanan's (approx. 3.2 miles away); State R.R. Survey (approx. 3.9 miles away); Logan’s 15th Corps & Garrard’s Cavalry (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norcross.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23285

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 22, 2021