Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Commissary - R.R. Depot

 
 
Commissary - R.R. Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, August 15, 2009
1. Commissary - R.R. Depot Marker
Inscription.  
This cellar was under Joseph Babcock's brick store. During the Civil War the building was used as a commissary.

Babcock's warehouse and cotton shed were located to your right on the bluff overlooking the river. The family home, kitchen, and garden stood between this store and the warehouse.

In 1860 the Babcock family sold the land between this sign and Capitol Street to the Cahawba, Marion and Greensboro Railroad Company for a train depot. Railroad tracks had been laid directly down Capitol Street in 1858.
 
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 32° 19.044′ N, 87° 5.784′ W. Marker was in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker was on Vine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: Capitol Avenue, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Commissary - R.R. Depot Location image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, August 15, 2009
2. Commissary - R.R. Depot Location
Click or scan to see
this page online
within walking distance of this location. Railroad Depot and Commissary (here, next to this marker); The Mound at Old Cahawba Archaeological Park (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Downtown Cahawba (a few steps from this marker); Vine Street (a few steps from this marker); Cahaba First State Capital (within shouting distance of this marker); Captive Boys in Blue (within shouting distance of this marker); Dallas County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Alabama's First Statehouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
 
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a newer marker,
titled "Railroad Depot and Commissary" with some of the same text.
 
Also see . . .  Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on October 14, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Marker that replaced this one. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 1, 2020
3. Marker that replaced this one.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,840 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   3. submitted on June 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23287

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021