Crediton in Huron County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Pioneers of Clinton
Erected in memory the Pioneers of Clinton
This marks the site of the first church erected A.D. 1835 and the burial grounds of the pioneers of the district
1928
Erected 1928.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 43° 36.998′ N, 81° 32.291′ W. Marker is in Crediton, Ontario, in Huron County. It is on Ontario Street 0.2 kilometers east of Victoria Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is in the community of Clinton, on the the grounds of St. Pauls Anglican Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Hwy 8, Crediton ON N0M 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Huron-Perth-Waterloo-Wellington Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Horatio Emmons Hale (1817-1896) (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Robert Hamilton Coats 1874-1960 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Slomans and the CNR School on Wheels / Les Sloman et le wagon-ιcole du CN (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Bell in Memory of Fred Sloman (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); The Green Bridge (approx. 7.8 kilometers away); Reverend William Graham (approx. 13.6 kilometers away); Colonel Anthony Van Egmond (approx. 13.6 kilometers away); Seaforth Firefighters (approx. 13.6 kilometers away).
Another marker is no longer nearby. Balls Bridge (was approx. 12.7 kilometers away but has been confirmed missing).
Also see . . . St. Pauls Anglican Church.
In 1832, the first St Paul's was erected on a one acre parcel of land had been set aside by the Canada Company. The small frame building was crudely built, contained a few benches, and was poorly constructed. The building burned in 1845.(Submitted on September 27, 2023, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario.)
The second building was erected in 1856 on the land where the parish rectory now stands. Again it was a wooden frame structure, built to serve the community until a more substantial church could be erected. St. Paul's received its first permanent incumbent in 1859.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2025. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2023, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2023, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.



