Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Courthouse of Prince William County
Roger D. Wharton - Vice-Chairman
G. Raymond Ratcliffe - Secretary
Erected 1931 by Bicentennial Committee of Prince William County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is September 25, 1933.
Location. 38° 39.926′ N, 77° 14.635′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Annapolis Way, on the right on Jefferson Davis Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Land Patents (here, next to this marker); Occoquan (here, next to this marker); Fairfax County / Prince William County (here, next to this marker); A Near Tragedy (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colchester (approx. half a mile away); End of the Water (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge (approx. 1.1 miles away); A Corridor and a Barrier (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The list includes all five Prince William County Courthouses in sequence from first through the fifth. Note that there are two markers for the second courthouse.
Also see . . .
1. Woodbridge is 200 Years Old!. An article written by Stephen E. Phinney in 1995, when he was serving on the Prince William County Historical Commission. It was published in November, 1997. (Submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. The History of the Prince William County Waterfront. Excerpt from a 1998 illustrated monograph by Debrarae Karnes: “Prince William’s first courthouse was located along the waterfront, near present day Belmont Bay. It was chartered in 1731, one year after Prince William County was chartered. At that time, Prince (Submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,541 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.