Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
E.H. Dibble Store / Eugene H. Dibble
This store, constructed in 1891 on what was then the corner of 6th Avenue (now Broad Street) and DeKalb Street, was the second home of E.H.Dibble and Brothers Grocery, which sold "general merchandise" as well as "heavy and fancy groceries" and operated in downtown Camden for more than fifty years. "The family is known all over the state," historian Asa Gordon wrote in 1929, "and its achievement in the mercantile business is of historic importance."
Eugene H. Dibble
Eugene Heriot Dibble (1855-1934), prominent Camden merchant, was the son of Andrew H. and Ellie Naudin Dibble. He also served in the S.C.House 1876-78. The first Dibble store in Camden, founded by Eugene's brother John Moreau Dibble (1848-1877), was on lower Main Street; after his death Ellie Naudin Dibble and her sons operated it. After E.H.Dibble's death in 1934 an obituary recalled,"he always lent his influence for the good of the community."
Erected 2001 by The Naudin - Dibble Heritage Foundation. (Marker Number 28 13.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 34° 14.773′ N, 80° 36.433′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is on Broad Street (State Highway 521). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lafayette Hall and Lafayette Cedar (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafayette's Tour (about 600 feet away); King Haiglar Tower (about 600 feet away); In Honor and Remembrance (about 700 feet away); The De Kalb Monument (about 800 feet away); Baruch Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bishop Davis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mather Academy (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,309 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.