Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical date for this entry is November 30, 1917.
Location. 33° 12.779′ N, 79° 57.981′ W. Marker is in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on State Highway 402, on the right when traveling south. Located between Carswell Lane and Biggins Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santee Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Berkeley County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Santee Canal (approx. 1.4 miles away); Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target? (approx. 1.4 miles Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure (approx. 1.4 miles away); Berkeley County Museum and Heritage Center: A County's Story (approx. 1.4 miles away); Too Formidable to Take (approx. 1.4 miles away); C.S.S. David (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Regarding Biggin Church. Biggin Church Ruins are the remains of the parish church of St. John’s Parish. The church was established by an act of the South Carolina Commons House of Assembly in 1706, which divided the colony into ten parishes. The original Biggin Church was probably completed ca. 1711. Biggin Church was used through the mid-nineteenth century and the surrounding cemetery is still being used. During the American Revolution, ammunitions were stored in the church by British troops who, upon leaving, set the church on fire. The church was burned several other times throughout its use, the last time in the late 1800s when it was not subsequently rebuilt. For many years the site served as a local brickyard. Although only portions of two walls remain, there is evidence that originally Biggin Church was designed with a degree of sophistication.
(South Carolina Department of Archives and History )
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. see Strawberry Chapel
Also see . . . Touring South Carolina's Revolutionary War Sites By Daniel W. Barefoot, page 44-45. Biggin Church was located at the intersection of three roads... (Submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,783 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on April 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.