Near Winder in Barrow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of King's Tanyard
Late that night, Capron halted briefly at Jug Tavern, fed and watered his horses, then marched to King’s Tanyard (about 300 yards, E) and halted again for two hours to rest his exhausted command. A large body of runaway negroes, who had followed the column, crowded in between the rear pickets and the main body. Before dawn on August 3rd, Williams’ Kentucky brigade [CS], in pursuit from Sunshine Church, charged over his pickets and into the panic-stricken negroes “driving and scattering everything before them.”
This engagement called also the Battle of Jug Tavern, was the final event of the Federal fiasco known as the Stoneman Raid.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 007-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1917.
Location. 34° 2.167′ N, 83° 46.417′ W. Marker is near Winder, Georgia, in Barrow County. Marker is on Thompson Mill Road (Georgia Route 211) 0.1 miles north of Will Maynard Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winder GA 30680, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethabra Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Perry-Rainey Institute (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rockwell Universalist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 4 miles away); Concord Methodist Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Builder of the NationThe Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 4.3 miles away); Barrow County (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winder.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,213 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.