Near Flippin in Monroe County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The proprietary town of "Pikesville" was established here with 10 streets and public square in August, 1818, east of Pikesville Branch and north of "Old Pikeville Rd" on 75 acres of land granted to Thomas Flippin in 1798. Pikesville was narrowly defeated in the election for county seat of Monroe in 1820. The town included a church, school, stores, taverns, grist mill, smithy, tannery, and racetrack. Samuel Johns[t]on with sons James and Nathan[iel] acquired all of the "Pikeville land" (353 acres) from Rev. Dr. John B. Cothran in 1855.
Pikesville School #1 1855-1929
Pikeville School #2 1929-1951
Bethel M.E. Church 1847-1923
A Forgotten Town Remembered: Pikesville of Monroe County, Kentucky (Charles R. Arterburn)
Flippin Family Association (Nova A. Lemons)
Erected 2017 by C. R. Arterburn.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1818.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tompkinsville KY 42167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Boone Was Here (here, next to this marker); Famous Tree / Indian Creek Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fraim Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Camp Anderson (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fountain Run World War I & World War II Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Free-Town Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Gamaliel Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Gamaliel (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flippin.
Regarding Pikesville. “At the end of the War of 1812, Thomas H. Flippin married Elizabeth Baugh on 29 November 1816 in Barren County, Kentucky. They had two sons, William Baugh Flippin and Thomas Haggard Perry Flippin.”
Please correct the spelling of this name to:
“Thomas Hazard Perry Flippin.”
Also see . . .
1. Flippin, Kentucky (Wikipedia)(Submitted on December 23, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.)
2. A Forgotten Town Remembered: Pikesville of Monroe County, Kentucky. (Submitted on December 27, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.)
3. Old Pikesville Cemetery. (Submitted on December 29, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.)
4. The Flippin Files. (Submitted on December 30, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.)
5. Johnson-Cross Cemetery. (Submitted on December 31, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.)
1. Thomas H. Flippin 1793-1856
“During the period 1799-1807, Thomas Flippin [1740-1830] and sons, William and James, applied for grants of unclaimed Kentucky land administered by the Commonwealth as the “Grants South of Green River,” altogether totaling 2,150 acres.  The Flippin grants were located [in Barren County, after 1798, Monroe County, after 1820] on or near the watercourses of Indian Creek, White Oak Creek, and the East Fork of Big Barren River. Of the total, 1,150 acres were granted or assigned to Thomas Flippin. ... [O]n April 27, 1818, Thomas Flippin Sr. and his sons, James and Isaac Flippin, jointly conveyed to John Baugh, William Baugh, and son Thomas H. Flippin  a 353-acre tract on the “waters of Indian Creek” [Pikesville Branch]
“Thomas H. Flippin, along with three of his brothers were Volunteers in the Kentucky Mounted Militia during the War of 1812.
“At the end of the War of 1812, Thomas H. Flippin married Elizabeth Baugh on 29 November 1816 in Barren County, Kentucky. They had two sons, William Baugh Flippin and Thomas Hazard Perry Flippin.
“In 1837, Thomas H. Flippin, with other family members, relocated to Northern Arkansas. ... The land was named Flippin Barrens, later named Flippin, Arkansas.
“Thomas H. Flippin was a prosperous member of the community. He was the Marion County Clerk and very involved in the Church. He applied for land grants related to the War of 1812.
“Thomas H. Flippin passed away on 6 March 1856 in Marion County, Arkansas. He was buried in the Flippin Cemetery, which was part of his original farm. The Flippin Cemetery is still present today with many generations of the Flippin family interred at the site.”
— “Who Was Thomas H. Flippin?” Thomas H. Flippin Chapter, United States Daughters of 1812, Bella Vista, Arkansas. December 27, 2018. http://sites.usdaughters1812.org/flippin1812/
— Submitted December 29, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.
2. How Pikesville Got Its Name
Although not documented, Pikesville was almost certainly named for General Zebulon Pike (1779-1813), hero of the War of 1812 who had died in the Battle of York. Thomas H. Flippin, his father in law, Rev. John Baugh, and William Baugh were the founding proprietors who duly petitioned Barren County Court to establish the town of Pikesville, and who would have decided its name. Sergeant Thomas H. Flippin and three of his brothers, William, James, and John, had recently served in Captain Hugh Brown’s Company of the 1st Regiment of Kentucky Mounted Militia during that War. Honoring Zebulon Pike as a namesake in various forms for place names (e.g., Pikeville, Pike County, Pike’s Peak) was popular after the War, but only two historical instances of the spelling of “Pikesville” to honor Pike are known: Pikesville, Maryland, and Pikesville, Kentucky. Thomas H. Flippin also apparently named his son, Thomas H. Perry Flippin (1819-1885), for another hero of the War of 1812, Commodore Oliver H. Perry (1785-1819).
— Submitted January 2, 2019, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 774 times since then and 282 times this year. Last updated on October 20, 2023, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky. 4. submitted on December 29, 2018, by C. R. Arterburn of Lexington, Kentucky. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.